SEVEN people were killed, six of them on the spot, when a Nissan Caravan vehicle they were travelling in veered off the road and crashed against a tree.
The accident took place on 1 January 2022 at the 43km peg along the Masvingo-Topora road, and three of the accident victims are siblings.
Sources in Masvingo say the boys were on a partying spree and the van belonged to the parents of some of the victims. It was not immediately clear if the partying had the blessing of the parents.
Police national spokesperson Assistant Commissioner Paul Nyathi confirmed the accident. He said five people were injured and are admitted at Masvingo General Hospital while a post-mortem for the deceased is to be done at the same facility.
According to a police statement, the motorist was driving towards Masvingo City along the road at around 14.30HRS when he lost control of the vehicle.
The vehicle swerved to the right whereupon it rammed against a tree, killing six people instantly, including the driver.
A seventh person died upon admission at Masvingo General Hospital.
Police have since identified the deceased as:
- Blessing Paradzai, aged 22, of Muzarira Village in Masvingo;
- Adwin Paradzai, aged 18, of Chikwanda Village in Masvingo;
- Wisdom Paradzai, aged 17, of Chikwanda Village in Masvingo;
- Vitalis Chikati, aged 19, of Mumbendi Village in Masvingo;
- Joseph Majambwa, aged 18, of Majambwa Village in Masvingo;
- Washington Mhikuro, aged 17, of Muzarira Village in Masvingo; and
- Nomore Manyengavana, aged 18, of Chidyani Village in Masvingo.
All the deceased are male. The next of kins of the deceased have been informed.