Closing Date: 14 February 2023
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit www.ifc.org.
IFC’s Public-Private Partnership (PPP) Transaction Advisory Services (CTA) provides sell side financial advisory services and acts as Lead Transaction Advisor to governments to structure and implement PPP and privatization transactions, primarily for provision of public services. Its aim is to increase access to basic infrastructure (electricity, water, transportation and telecommunications) and social services (health and education) as well as facilitate private investments.
The department is looking to recruit an Investment Analyst (IA) for its East Africa team who will support the regional team and management with the whole PPP transaction process of IFC acting as Lead Transaction Advisor.
The team focuses on advising on the following types of transactions across all infrastructure sectors with a particular focus on energy and transport:
• Public-Private Partnerships e.g., BOT type concessions.
• Management and lease contracts.
• Restructuring and privatization of state-owned enterprises.
The position is based in Johannesburg-South Africa, and reports to the Regional Manager for PPP Transaction Advisory Services in Africa.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• The Investment Analyst will work closely with team leaders as part of the project team to assist in the origination, due diligence, structuring, negotiation and bidding of infrastructure projects.
• Contribute to origination and marketing activities including preparation of pitch books and proposals.
• Prepare memos and documentation for internal approval and consultant procurement processes.
• Perform financial analysis and modeling.
• Assist in due diligence management, preparation of due diligence and transaction structuring reports, and review of legal, commercial, and technical outputs and documentation.
• Assist in preparation of information memorandums, pre-qualification and tender documentation.
• Assist in marketing to potential investors, conducting international competitive tenders and commercial/financial closure.
• Assist in coordinating closely with other parts of IFC including environmental and social, legal, other advisory and investment departments as well as World Bank colleagues in order to provide comprehensive and bespoke solutions to clients that will achieve sustainable development impact.
• Participate in meetings with government clients and investors; and
• Assist in other project or strategy related activities as the need may arise (research, reporting, etc.)
• Undergraduate/Graduate degree in Finance or Accounting or a related specialty from a reputed university.• Solid and relevant experience of a minimum of two years gained in the IFC investment side or another leading financial institution either in project finance, corporate finance, M&A and privatizations, or private equity funds in infrastructure.• Strong financial modeling skills.•
Strong analytical and conceptual skills and ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently•
Good presentation skills both written and oral.•
Willingness and ability to travel on short notice and frequently, as required.•
Excellent oral and written communication skills in English is essential.