Closing Date: 07 April 2023
News24 is looking for an investigative journalist who has the ability to produce exclusive, agenda-setting stories in a fast-paced environment to join its investigations unit in Johannesburg for 12 months. The investigate journalist is a seeker for the truth and has the forensic capabilities to unearth wrongdoing in the private and public sector. The successful applicant will work as part of News24’s investigations unit and will report to the assistant editor for in-depth news. He or she will be expected to work in a challenging environment, as part of team and produce agenda-setting and well-sourced investigations on a regular basis.
- An appropriate tertiary qualification.
- At least five years’ experience as a senior journalist on a major South African news title.
Skills & Competencies
- Proven ability to identify, investigate and expose wrongdoing in society, in the private and public sectors;
- Established network of relevant sources;
- Ability to forensically unpack data in ways that are useful and empowering to readers;
- The capacity to deal with pressure and threats;
- Ability to tell complicated stories in a digestible way;
- Embracing new ways of storytelling other than text.
Duties & Responsibilities
Research and investigate corruption and wrongdoing in the state, private companies and state-owned enterprises;
Deliver well-written investigative articles, supported by multimedia, on a regular basis;
Deliver breaking news scoops on a regular basis;
Collaborate with the editorial, graphics and video teams in packaging investigative stories for maximum impact on digital platforms;
Source and analyse relevant.